Stetchworth Walk 1
This walk is approximately 3 ¼ miles going through a stud, woodland and farmed fields; the footpaths are well marked. The Ellesmere Centre has good parking, a shop which is open from 9am – 1pm and toilets. Some parts of the walk are on the road, so take care. It is fairly flat ground, although some parts can be uneven. There are stiles that do not have any other means of passage other than to climb over. There are also some narrow bridges.
Duration: approx 1.5 hrs
Distance: 3.25 miles
Stetchworth walk 1
- Park at the Ellesmere Centre (image 1).
- Turn left on leaving the car park and look for footpath sign which will take you through a kissing gate on your right.
- Continue through the stud (image 2) until you come to a stile. Cross the stile and bear left.
- Cross a wide track and enter fields with a ditch on left (image 3). Travel about 300 yards and turn right. Go over wooden bridge (image 4) and turn left.
- Continue along Stour Valley Path for ½ mile and look for foot path sign on left (image 5).
- Turn left and follow this path (image 6) until you see mown grass and a tennis court.
- Find your way onto a narrow path beside a meadow with electric fencing. At the end is Ley Road, Stetchworth (image 7), this is looking to the left at this point.
- Turn right and look for footpath sign on left (image 8). This path is through open country and passes poplar trees (image 9).
- Look for green metal farm gates (image 10) and turn right into Woodditton Road.
- Pass houses on left and follow footpath between houses.
- Now you head towards the Devil’s Ditch by walking across the arable field (image 11).
- Find a gap in the hedge and walk through woods until you are at the base of Devil’s Ditch.
- Continue towards Stetchworth with ditch on right.
- At marker post turn left then right into arable fields (image 12), this is looking to the right at this point.
- After 200 yards you must turn left and follow the hedge.
- Cross wide farm track and climb through gap in hedge.
- Turn right then left across arable field.
- Continue over the bridge (image 13) and arrive at the rear of Stetchworth playing field (image 14).
- From here, the car park is on the far side of the Ellesmere Centre hall.
The route map for each of the walks are courtesy of www.openstreetmap.org